Audrey Oxenhorn, MSW
9 Effective Ways We Can Make A Difference
Here are 9 quick, easy, and effective ways that we can make a big difference with our daily dose of peace and kindness. Just doing one or two of these exercises daily starts rewiring our neural pathways for contentment. When we are kind to ourselves then our kindness towards others is more authentic.
1. Saying three things of gratitude before you go to sleep at night and before you wake up in the morning. Gratitude is an immediate game-changer for the brain. It helps to reset it to neutral.
2. When you are struggling and slipping down the rabbit hole of worry, it helps to speak to yourself in the third person or better yet use your name. It gives us a broader perspective and neutrality
3. Set a timer for 15 minutes and physically write down your worries. It is preferable to write it than type them. Writing gets to the heart of the matter more quickly.
4. Talk to your animal companion about what is bothering you. They really want to help us and are very grateful when they can be of service. The trick is to listen to what they have to say…
5. Focus on your breathing several times a day. It is not necessary to have scheduled and deliberate meditation. The breathing practice is a form of meditation. It is helpful to breathe in and out for 8 counts.
6. Take a warm water foot bath with 2 cups of Epsom salts and several drops of lavender pure essential oil. It works as a detoxifier and relaxant.
7. Take a soft rubber ball in your hand and throw it from one hand to the other across the midline of your body. This exercise helps to balance the right and left sides of the brain.
8. Take a breath before you reply to requests from family and friends. Check inside and ask if this is something that you want to do. When we take a pause, we can be clearer about what we truly want.
9. Laugh as often as you can every day.
Please make a daily habit of being kind to yourself.
Thank you for reading and I hope it helps you with your daily dose peace and kindness!