Sleep Or Not To Sleep, That Is The Question?
After years of being sleep challenged, I have arrived at ten suggestions for a better night’s rest. Sleep is more important than we have even imagined. We need sleep to keep the 50 trillion cells in our mind and body working efficiently and effectively. When we are awake, all of our cells are working hard to maintain our daily activities. When we are asleep, the body efficiently acts as a detritus cleaner and allows us to wake up with a physical, emotional, and mental reset. So let’s see if you can create one or more habits that will welcome in a better night’s sleep.
1. Keep your bedroom for sleeping and sex only
2. Sleep in a cool, dark room on a comfortable mattress
3. Turn off your screens at night or place them in an adjacent room
4. Stop watching television and lower the lights about 60 minutes before bed. Ideally, it is awesome to have red spectrum lights shining to improve the production of melatonin.
5. Be mindful of your dreams- write them down and pay attention to the messages.
6. Practice breathing exercises during the day. Optimally, we should be breathing 5 times a minute to put ourselves into relaxation mode. Breathe in for 6 seconds and breathe out for 6 seconds at least 15 minutes a day.
7. Optimally get 7-9 hours of sleep per 24 hours. If you are not able to sleep 7-9 hours at night due to physical or mental distress, then take a 60-minute nap.
8. Watch the intake of alcohol and marijuana before bed, usage affects your dreaming and ability to stay asleep.
9. Say three things of gratitude before sleep.
10. Follow a routine of regular sleep and wake-up times.
If you have further questions about managing your sleep, please give me a call.